Monday, February 18, 2008

2-19-08

Thunderbird has split off into Mozilla Messaging, a subsidiary of the Mozilla Foundation. They will be working to make email better. Since I currently use Thunderbird with the Lightning calendar extension for my work email, I look forward to seeing how they improve it. It is already better than Outlook or Eudora. There is an article in Information Week, and an announcement on the blog of the CEO.

CNet has a lunar eclipse slideshow to remind us to look up tomorrow night at 7:01pm.

Feeling nostalgic for cheesy TV from the 70s or 80s? NBC and their associated network websites are going to put a bunch of old TV shows online as streaming video. (Some examples: Alfred Hitchcock Hour, A-Team, the original Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Simon & Simon, etc.)

Jude Law, Johnny Depp, and Colin Farrell will all appear as Heath Ledger's character in the upcoming film, "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus". No explanation was given as to how they are changing the role, but since it is a fantasy film where a traveling theater company controls the minds of others, they will probably have the character appear differently at different times, which may allow them to keep the footage shot before he died.

The Sci-Fi Fan Letter blog had a post yesterday about Urban Fantasy private investigator stories. I can think of a few missing from their list, but all the ones I've read that they do include were good. (I've read 5 of the authors and have 2 more in my TBR pile at home.) Now I need to track down the other 6 authors they list that I've never read.

The Internet Review of Science Fiction (IRoSF) is back online.

F&SF Magazine has added a blog from the editors. They will include interviews, contests, and all sorts of other stuff to be determined as it goes. One nice feature, especially if I ever get around to cataloging our magazines, is that they include the cover art images all the way back to #1.

I mentioned Emma Bull's Shadow Unit some time ago. If you were curious enough to read some, episode 1 is now available at http://shadowunit.org/breathe.html

DVR for tonight:
10pm Jericho

No comments: