Thursday, September 27, 2007

Roundup for 9-27-07

DVRs for tonight:
8pm My Name is Earl (NBC)
9pm CSI (CBS) and Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
10pm Big Shots (ABC) - I don't expect to like this, but I like the cast/crew enough to give it a chance.

A man's wife dies, and the responders see art & science supplies and arrest him as a potential terrorist, confiscate his house and quarantine the entire neighborhood. When they realize that there is nothing toxic on the property, they charge him with "mail fraud" for ordering harmless bacteria. Wow. The full story is here.

This is the 40th anniversary of the handheld calculator. Some history and which models join the Smithsonian exhibit can be found in the article.

More tech history can be found in this article about a tour of the non-public areas of the Computer History Museum. Among other things mentioned, they are trying to restore an IBM mainframe from the 60s. Cool stuff for geeks like me. This is another place, like the aquariums, that I've been meaning to visit since I moved back down here and have somehow never managed to make it to the door.

Martin Scorsese is planning on making a documentary about George Harrison.

I remember the old Beetle Bailey cartoon strips (and books that Dad had), but I never knew they made an animated version until I saw this ad for the dvd set.

Evil. Someone who knows my love for Aztec/Mexican chocolate showed me this tasty-looking item. Yummmmm.

SciFi has ordered a 3rd season (of 13 episodes) of Eureka.

They think of everything. There is now a remote-control robot that will clean gutters.

More info on the sale of SlingMedia to EchoStar.

I understand that networks are looking to develop new shows now the last round is hitting the screens, so they can be prepared when these bomb and die. However, why would a remake of Knight Rider be considered a good idea to anyone?

It is nice to see a human-animal interaction with a happy ending, and the pictures are amazing. Bear rescued from falling off the Donner Memorial Bridge.

No comments: