Wednesday, April 15, 2009

4-15-09

NASA decided to name the node Tranquility (basically ditching both of the top vote-getters). I like the way they named the treadmill Colbert by making it an acronym: Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill. I wonder if Serenity will end up being a name for something up there too.

Harry Potter 6 will now open 2 days early: Wednesday, July 15th instead of the 17th.

SciFi Wire reviews the renewal chances of 11 genre shows. Of these, I've heard today that Sarah Connor Chronicles is definitely dead, and Heroes has been renewed. I'll be really upset (and surprised) if Chuck gets canceled. Given this interview and their recent casting, I'd also be surprised if Fringe doesn't come back. I generally watch Dollhouse, Medium & Eleventh Hour, but it won't break my heart if they don't return. I'm actually surprised Reaper is still listed as having a chance after the staff they've lost (I liked season 1, but all of season 2 is still waiting on the DVR for me to catch up).

SciFi has announced additional guest casting for Stargate: Universe. Sources: Futon Critic, SciFi Wire

SciFi Wire has an article discussing plans for a Dr. Horrible sequel.

There is a new issue of Lone Star Stories Reader available for free in PDF form as well as from the usual stores in print form. Several good authors listed, including Nina Kiriki Hoffman and Jay Lake. More on this from Tor.com.

The LA Times has an article on the restoration of early NASA lunar images, which includes a gorgeous Earthrise image.

EETimes has an article on diatoms tripling the efficiency of solar cells.

SciFi Wire has an interview with Bryan Fuller about the final eps of Pushing Daisies and its future in comics.

A small study in India showed that injecting a patient's own stem cells improved mobility in cases of partial paralysis.

No comments: