Tuesday, January 6, 2009

1-6-09

Beatles songs are now available for free through a Norwegian podcast (available through iTunes).

Amazon has partnered with Roku to deliver all their Unbox movie downloads to the Netflix box on-demand.

SciFi Wire takes a look at midseason genre shows - worth looking at to remember when things are coming back (part 1 is network, part 2 is cable). I'm looking forward to 7 out of the 11 shows, and I might watch the pilot for another.

The New York Times has a slideshow of Postcards from Mars with beautiful pictures.

The BBC has an article about a new approach to powering a space elevator (or, as it calls it, "getting into space by broomstick").

Space.com has an article about the short-term (next year or 2) future of commercial spaceflight.

Space.com also has a calendar of events to watch for in the night sky in 2009. (I wonder how many of these I will actually remember to look up for.)

Neatorama lists 10 scifi books that appeal to non-geeks. I've read and loved 5, and another 3 have been on my TBR pile for ages, so I think it is a decent list.

Wired has a movie guide for genre films being released in 2009. I'm really looking forward to several of these, and they include a bunch I'd never heard of before.

Wired also has a list of the Top 10 Things Launched into Space in 2008.

The Mac just celebrated its 25th anniversary, and Wired has a photo timeline in their retrospective.

Apple announced today they are dropping DRM from iTunes downloads (upgrading your current songs to DRM-free format will cost .30 each per CNet) and changing their pricing structure (songs will vary from $0.69 to 1.29 instead of all being .99). BBC commentary on the announcement.

Orbit is now offering one eBook per month for $1 (at the end of the month it will go back to the regular price). Mobi is definitely supported, but I'm not sure of other formats.

DVR for tonight:
7pm Leverage (TNT)
9pm Scrubs (ABC - 1 hour premiere)

No comments: