Friday, February 20, 2009

2-20-09

Although, sadly, The Middleman TV show is officially dead, it will have an extras-packed dvd this summer, then continue in comic book form. Sources: What's Alan Watching, Tor.com and i09.

Tor has an article about all the Jane Austen/SF projects I mentioned yesterday. I love the poster they show.

Great animal stories: cat diagnoses lung cancer and otter points camera at photographer.

Gradual desensitization may help cure peanut allergies.

Seattle is no longer in competition for the 2011 Worldcon (they lost their facilities, so may bid on a year further out), leaving Reno as the only remaining bid.

Gizmotron has a guide to Steampunk gadgets.

Funny internet rumor of the day: some Google Earth users spotted lines in the water off the coast of Africa and thought they'd found Atlantis - in actuality, it was data remnants from the path the boat took while collecting sea floor measurements, but I guess Atlantis sounds better. Sources: The Sun (c/o Slashdot) and CNet.

Cool new YouTube animation: The Future of the Ebook (they don't mean ebooks the way I think of them).

Apparently ABC is planning to finally air the final episodes of Pushing Daisies this summer (at the same time the dvd comes out).

i09 lists 9 books that deserve to be movies (I'm not sure about the word "deserve". I think that depends on the quality of the adaptation, but I'm going with the assumption they would be translated well to screen and they should get a wider audience.) I agree with a few and haven't read a few, but I think there should be a Jack McDevitt on the list.

If you haven't already read it, go check out the story of the squirrel and the motorcycle. It's the funniest thing I've read in ages.

No comments: